Exterior Solar Shades
REDUCE ENERGY BILLS WITH EXTERIOR SOLAR SHADES
In your home, business, and outdoor spaces, sunlight is a beautiful source of natural light that elevates mood and reduces the need for indoor lighting during the day. However, excessive UV rays can produce problematic effects such as glare, fading, and increased cooling bills. Installing exterior solar shades will reduce these issues, as well as provide the ability to manage your privacy and indoor lighting requirements.
Benefits of Exterior Solar Shades
Exterior solar shades provide a number of benefits, including:
- Reduced glare on televisions, computer monitors, mirrors, and other reflective surfaces
- Protection from fading of interior furniture and décor by blocking UV rays
- Prevention of high energy bills caused by excessive sunlight-generated heat
- Greater control over privacy and natural lighting in home or office
How They Work
On their own, windows absorb up to 82 percent of the heat and light produced by the sun. Exterior solar shades provide a barrier that reflects up to 88 percent of the sun’s energy, reducing the amount absorbed inside your home by up to 70 percent.
Types of Exterior Solar Shades
A variety of exterior solar shades are available to meet your unique needs. The options available include:
- Zip screens. These work well for outdoor enclosures, such as patios. They reduce insect entry, preserve both view and privacy, and resist corrosion from exposure to the elements.
- Self-storing solar screens. These screens are well-suited for larger, longer windows. They are retractable, preserve the view from inside, and filter out up to 90% of UV rays.
- Exterior solar shade systems. These customizable structures are often seen on wide (up to 30 feet) expanses and are ideal for businesses and homes alike. They reduce cooling costs by up to a third and are designed to stand up to moderate wind.
- Horizontal exterior shading systems. These shades are retractable and provide a wall or divider between spaces such as decks or patios.
Options for Retracting Shades
Three options are available for controlling retraction of your exterior solar shades. They can be manual, motorized, or automated (expands or retracts based on current sunlight), so you can choose the method that offers the right level of convenience and versatility.
Excessive sunlight can negatively impact your comfort, visibility, and cooling costs, both indoors and outdoors. Exterior solar shades offer an attractive and durable way to combat these effects, while also preserving your privacy and view. With the wide array of customization options available, it’s easy to find an exterior solar shade that meets your needs.
Window awnings can potentially provide energy savings and contribute to LEED points. For more details go here
Want to know more about exterior solar shades? Call Window Works at (973) 535-5860 or 800-505-5860.