Are you an Outlanders fan? If so, you’re just going to love listening to the accent of today’s guest! LuAnn warns you though, that if you’re not, the first five to ten minutes of today’s show aren’t going to be your cup of tea! Today’s guest is Laura Lochrin, who’s originally from Scotland and she only moved here, with her husband and children, five years ago. She now lives in sunny California. Listen in to find out about Laura and the particular way that she goes about her business.
LuAnn was really surprised to discover that Laura only opened her firm eight months ago. Today, they talk about the challenges that Laura faces in having a start-up design firm, two small children and a husband- all of this while living on the other side of the world from where she was raised! Listen in now, to their really fun conversation.
Today, Laura talks to LuAnn about:
- What it was like for her, getting started in the USA.
- How she grew her Instagram following in such a short time.
- Her Instagram feed- how much of her own work is on it and how much of it is curated posts of other people’s work.
- Laura’s way of working with Instagram.
- How Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and now also Yelp are translating into business for Laura.
- Appealing to the right people for her kind of work, through her Instagram feed.
- Using Instagram as a Marketing Tool.
- Those things are starting to get a little hectic with her solo business, now.
- Time management- one of her biggest challenges at the moment.
- The challenges of being a working mom.
- How she makes things work, as a mom and a designer.
- That she developed the necessary confidence to do design work as a result of her background in advertising.
- Some of the challenges that she faces with her business, at the moment.
- How much she’s learned from listening to LuAnn’s Podcast!
- That she uses Design Manager to help with her administrative processes.
- That she falls a little more in love with MyDoma, every time she uses it.
- What she does that really helps her new business to thrive.
- How Laura structures her fees.
- That she knows the value of her work because she knows what she has to give up in her life, in order to make it happen.
- Making the time to go to the Industry Markets and to meet other designers.
- That her Superpower is all about the details- in every aspect of her life.
Laura’s website: Laura Lochrin Interiors